CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 15, 2011

First show over fences

We are getting there. I'm not sure where "there" is, or even if I'll know when I'm there, but progress is happening. No blogging lately because I just haven't had the time! But here is an update on my mare Mazzy. She is progressing great! She now has a few shows under her belt. Last weekend was my first time showing her over fences. She was great. The first time I had actually jumped a legitimate course on her was the day before the show. That is enough practice, right?


Mazzy has alot of great qualities. She is very sweet, and has a good work ethic. She is a pretty quick learner and wants to do the right thing. She has a great mellow personality, and not much phases her. New jumps aren't a problem, and she isn't spooky. My wish for her becoming something great is starting to become a reality. I'm really happy how she is turning out so far. We have come a long way since the day she was born! Showing her over fences for the first time is a pretty big deal for me.


At the show Mazzy was really good, she did exactly what I told her, however, I told her to go a bit too fast. Her stride is quite a bit bigger than I am used to, so going at the correct pace for her large stride feels very slow to me. Nerves of showing her for the first time added to this. At home I can monitor her stride better, but I got a little frozen in the ring and made it down the lines way too easy. In my equitation class, there was a bending line (first one I had ever done on her) and I left a stride out. Oops. It was supposed to be 8 and it was right there in seven for me. I should have broken the line up more. It wasn't bad, just not the plan.

There was a little hunter derby at the end of the day, and she marched around all the natural obstacles like a pro. The course included a trot jump, getting mail from a mailbox, and we had to hand gallop the last jump. Fun, fun!

3 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Wonderful! Nice to see a post from you and a great happy one at that ! She sure is a gorgeous horse!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update! Mazzy is just beautiful. There is something so amazing about the first time you show a baby that you've raised from Day One! I agree with you, sounds like she's going to be great!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! You guys look great!!!

Floating Social Media