CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Dogs smile with their tails

When I come home from a long day, these two faces always cheer me up.

"He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds. He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea. He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being; by the way he rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him. (I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.) When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile. When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, he ignores it. When I succeed, he brags. Without him, I am only another man. With him, I am all-powerful. He is loyalty itself. He has taught me the meaning of devotion. With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant. His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things. He has promised to wait for me... whenever... wherever - in case I need him. And I expect I will - as I always have. He is just my dog." - Gene Hill

16 comments:

Jessica said...

Love this poem! There is nothing like having that constant companionship of a dog...they truely are the best friends anyone can ask for. I grew up with a Rottie...I love yours! What a sweet face! :)

Twisted Fencepost said...

We could all learn a lesson from a dog.
I have four of my own. They can bring a smile in the worst of times.

Heart of a Cowgirl said...

Such a profoundly true quote! Love your dogs ~~ I have a soft spot for rotties (have one of my own, Angel). They always love us, no matter what.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Beautiful post ,and so true .My music playing in the background while I was reading this was "Good Friends"

Kathleen Coy said...

Awwww, beautiful post! I just love your dogs!

Distressing Delilah a.k.a. jenn said...

How sweet. I am a huge sucker for puppy dog eyes! I have two that make me smile every time I come home.

Pony Girl said...

Oh goodness, when I first opened this post, I thought the first dog was my friend's Rott! Her's has a little fluffier fur, but the same exact expression. I love labs too. Blacks and chocolates are my favorite. I loved the poem!

Paint Girl said...

Excellant poem! It says it all. Your dogs look so sweet!
I will never live without a dog in my life!

CharlesCityCat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CharlesCityCat said...

Five O'Clock:

Just wanted to introduce myself, I am CCC (aka CharlesCityCat) from Hummingbird Hill Farm. Thank you for posting on my little blog the other day.

Just wanted to say that I love your mare Kylie, she is gorgeous and you both look quite talented. I have a love of grey horses.

And BTW, the poem about dogs was very lovely, I am now quite teary.

And another BTW, love the jewelry.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Hi there , I got a not from Charles City Cat , to say thanks for stopping by her blog,Hummingbird Hill. Any how she said she had tried to leave a comment here for you, and wanted to say how nice your blog is and that she appreciated your comments.

bhm said...

I found your blog threw your posts on Hummingbird Hill and Fern Valley. What an amazing, talented and beautiful horse. Wow, those jumps.

I love your jewelry. I must leave before I spend money that I don't have.

You're welcome to drop by my blog.

Cheryl Ann said...

Is that a Rottie? My aunt and uncle have one, a little female. I have a black lab, Ripley, and she has her own blog! Come visit!http://ripleyandme.blogspot.com/ And, thanks for stopping by my horse blog! Where are you in So. Cal?

Five O'Clock Somewhere said...

Kora is a Rottweiler and Murphy is a Chocolate Lab.

Thanks CCC for the compliments. Your farm is gorgeous as well as all your dogs and horses.

storybeader said...

what a pair of cuties! I love doggies!

The Silver Age Sara said...

That was beautiful. There is nothing better than the love of our faithful friends.

Floating Social Media