CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 12, 2010

Devasting News

Xrays revealed some pretty horrible news about Mazzy. She has a deep lesion of the lateral trochlear ridge in her stifle joint. At this point it is incurable. It is a developmental abnormality. This is caused by impaired blood supply to the joint capsule which reduces conversion of cartilage to bone as in normal development. There are many factors that contribute to this disease syndrome. The genetic predisposition for rapid growth seems to be one.

I'm still trying to process this horrible news. The xrays were sent up to one of the foremost equine clinics in the world to see if there was anything they could suggest.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh gosh, I am so sorry. That is just heartbreaking news and I'm sure must be very difficult to wrap your brain around. Sending long distance hugs....

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Sending good thoughts and hopes - perhaps the vet clinic will have ideas on what to do.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

So sorry, what is the prognosis at this point?

Five O'Clock Somewhere said...

Prognosis is grim. We are waiting to hear from the Equine Orthopaedic Research Center at CSU and another equine clinic. My vet is waiting to hear and then we will for a game plan. I don't want Mazzy to have a lifetime of pain, and I do not want to just put a bandaid on the problem. There are many advances with stem cells these days, but I am not sure if there is any success for this type of problem.

Sherry Sikstrom said...

So sorry Tara! Hugs and prayers for a positive outcome.

sandy petals said...

I am so sorry for Mazzy! I will pray that there is something that can help her.

jacksonsgrrl said...

I am so sorry Tara. I hope that perhaps the stem cells can do some good-it is such a growing and wonderful field with new discoveries all the time. Mazzy is too young for this...
What made you get her checked? Is she lame, is she in pain? I am so sorry. IT seems like the Summer of Sad for alot of us out there. Thanks for the nice comments, they cheered me up a bit...
~Mindy

Sarah said...

How awful. Sending good thoughts your way....

Floating Social Media