CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Snow in Southern California

Chad took this picture up near Big Bear yesterday when he went snowboarding.

Crazy weather here! Lots of road closures creating massive traffic backups below the passes. Interstate 15 is closed over Cajon Pass east of Los Angeles, I-5 is closed through the Grapevine area and Highway 14 is closed into Palmdale and Lancaster. Snow was even seen late this afternoon in Malibu and the National Weather Service says more severe cold is on the way. Heavy rain fell in parts of Southern California throughout the day.

New snow reports (as of 4pm this afternoon).
Los Angeles County mountains and high deserts

Lake Los Angeles (about 2500 ft).. 8 inches
Malibu Hills (just below 2000 ft). .5 inches
Frazier Park (5000 ft)... ... ... ... 12 inches
Pearblossom (about 3100 ft)... ... . 9 inches
Wrightwood (about 6100 ft)... ... .. 20 inches
*palmdale (about 2200 ft)... ... ... 6 inches
*record snow in Palmdale is 14.3 inches in 1974

No snow at our house, but alot of rain!

5 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Well I guess that should at least reduce the fire hazard?
I know you guys don't tend to get snow in that area ,so stay warm and safe.

Five O'Clock Somewhere said...

It for sure reduces the fire danger, however, the people in the burn areas are now being evacuated due to mudslide danger!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Man You guys just can't catch a break huh? Again Stay safe.

Waterrose said...

It's pretty cold here in Phoenix. No snow, but N.AZ got about 30inches. This time last year we were driving through California on our way to Portland...even though our vehicle is pretty capable, it's scary to drive through those passes even with chains.

KAT said...

I'm over in Massachusetts and I'm snowed in!! I can't get out of my house. I have to wait for someone to come and dig me out! And it is still snowing here on Saturday!!
Hopefully I will be dug out before the next big storm on Sunday!!! Or I'm in big trouble!!
Did you send this over my way? LOL

By the way...I have given you an award over at my blog: http://candlesandcrafts.blogspot.com
Please come over and claim it if you want. I love your blog, and feel you deserve this award.

Take care,
Kat

Floating Social Media